Housing and Residency

Residency for Tuition Purposes 

Several of our students have had issues about whether they need to pay in-state tuition. This is especially relevant for students who are on "external" fellowships, e.g. from NSF or NASA. To avoid any issues, it is critical that everyone apply for and establish NM residency as soon as they are eligible (after having been in New Mexico for one year). Not sure if you're considered a resident? When you check your student account on myNMSU, it should either say LC TUITION GR RESD PT (you're considered a resident) or LC TUITION GR NRES PT (you're considered a non-resident NRES). 

NMSU has a webpage with information about in-state residency and there is also a site from the NM Higher Education Department. Applications must be submitted to the NMSU Registrar by the beginning of the semester (which they define as 21 calendar days before the first day of classes). We recommend you file as soon as possible during the Summer to avoid long lines at the Registrar's Office. 

You will need to fill out this form as well as provide any two of the following documents: 

  • NM driver's license 
  • a copy of your lease or leases that covers at least 1 full year of living in NM, (or home ownership documents if you don't rent) 
  • pay stub from NMSU 
  • NM car registration 
  • NM voter registration 
  • NM tax return from the previous year 
  • NM bank statement 
  • utility bills showing your name and your NM address 
  • proof that you aren't a dependent of your parents (if you're under 23 years of age, you must present a copy of your parents' 1040 or 1040A income tax form) 

To keep track of this and to make sure we avoid problems, we are asking that when you receive notification that residency has been established, you give a copy of this to our front office administrators to keep in your file. If you already have this, giving them a copy would be great. 


Students rent apartments or houses all over Las Cruces and Mesilla, and a few students have bought houses. Some of these were found via Craigslist or Apartment Guide, but others were found by driving around town and investigating 'for rent' or 'for sale' signs. Not all apartment complexes have websites, but many are listed with contact information on Google Maps. The student government, ASNMSU, provides a free handbook to educate you about your options, recourses, and responsibilities as a renter. You can pick one up at the ASNMSU office (second floor of Corbett). You should also read up about renter's insurance. Where have people lived? Here's a quick summary: 

  • Casa Bandera - across the street from NMSU with a swimming pool, small workout room, laundry in the apartment, and refrigerated air. Some haven't liked the undergraduate feel to it but others are perfectly fine with it. 
  • The Grove - a block from NMSU with a swimming pool. Some haven't liked the undergraduate feel to it but others are perfectly fine with it.
  • Las Palmas - across the street from NMSU (smaller but quiet) with refrigerated air, laundry on-site, and allows small pets. 
  • Villa Sierra Apartments - large apartment complex on Triviz (down the street from NMSU) with refrigerated air, swimming pool, and small workout room, and also allows small pets.
  • Omni Apartments - one complex down from Villa Sierra on Triviz with a swimming pool, laundry facilities, and affordable one-bedroom apartments.  ESA/Service animals only. 
  • Tuscany Villa - large apartment complex on Roadrunner (some distance from NMSU) with a swimming pool. 
  • Copperstone - large gated apartment complex on Roadrunner (some distance from NMSU) with refrigerated air, laundry in the apartment, swimming pool, and also allows pets. 
  • Willow Brook Apartment Homes - large apartment complex past Rt. 70 (some distance from NMSU). 

Back to AGSO Home Page >