MVD Info and Registering to Vote

Driving in New Mexico 

Thankfully, you can look online for the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division forms to get your driver's license. You may apply for a 4 or 8 year license. If you are under 25 years old and getting an NM license for the first time, you have to go through a drunk driving awareness program "None for the Road" to get your license even if you hold a license in another state. The process takes about two weeks (plus any additional weeks due to inherent bureaucratic silliness). 

Registering to Vote 

Participate in your government! Have a hand in shaping national policies! Have a reason to complain about who wins! Register to vote in New Mexico by filling out the Voter Registration Form and returning it to the ASNMSU office (Corbett Student Center) or they can deliver them directly to the Dona Ana County Bureau of Elections (845 N. Motel Blvd., Las Cruces, NM 88007, (505) 525-6156)). Forms are available from the following locations: 

  • Motor Vehicle Department 
  • NMSU Campus: ASNMSU Office, Campus Activities, Chicano Programs, Black Programs, American Indian Programs, Center for Learning Assistance, Student Health Center, Housing Office, Placement Office, Registrar's Office, Financial Aid Office, Admissions Office 
  • Dona Ana County Bureau of Elections 

You can check on your voter status at 

If you move or change your mailing address, you need to fill out a new registration form. If you don't, you may be required to cast a provisional ballot on Election Day. You can register by mail as well. Just call the Doña Ana County Bureau of Elections at (575) 647-7428. They will send you a form for you to fill out and send back. 

What if you prefer to vote absentee? You can find the registration form here. Also, voter registration information, including the New Mexico Voter Bill of Rights (English and Spanish versions) and links to the Native American Election Information Program, can be found at the Secretary of State's website. Finally, appropriate forms and instructions for registering to vote in each of the fifty states can be found at the Election Assistance website. 



Back to AGSO Home Page >